World IBD Day 2017

/
0 Comments
Tomorrow, the 19th May 2017, is World IBD Day.

Most of you may know about IBD because yourself, a family member or friend may have a form of IBD. IBD comes in two main forms, Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. Both have many similarities but the main difference is the Ulcerative Colitis affects the colon and rectum whereas Crohn's Disease affects the whole digestive system from the oesophagus to the anus. 
IBD impacts over 300,00 lives in the UK alone and it mainly causes inflammation of the digestive track, formations of ulcers and causes loss of control over the bowels. With having a form of IBD there is no cure, it's a lifelong "chronic illness" and there are many hurdles that some people have to face.

Before my 20's I never saw awareness for IBD and now after living with Ulcerative colitis for 3+ years I still don't see it as publically spoken about. Personally I'm very open about my condition and I've met people who are shocked by it and would rather remain unaware and others who embrace me and the condition.

My main focus of this post is to spread awareness and you can do that by wearing something purple. Doesn't have to be full on I know some people have work or school. Wear a purple hair tie, purple socks or just point out that the 19th is World IBD Day and break the "taboo on poo". 
I sometimes wonder why we can't talk about bowel issues with it's perception of being "unladylike" or "disgusting" when most people will of had a bout of diarrhea or have changed a child's nappy in their lifetime. 

I have written many blog posts about my journey with Ulcerative Colitis if you are interested you can click here to read them, but if you want to raise awareness over social media is a poster with a roundup of IBD.



Thank for reading!

Hannah Marie x


You may also like

No comments: