Candy Apples

/
2 Comments
Cooking isn’t really my forte although I do really enjoy it. This year I decided to show an easy, inexpensive treat that would be great if you are having a party / small get together or if you’re looking for a Halloween Activity. I decided to do two different types of Candy Apples; Chocolate and Toffee.

You will need:

Apples (I used Red & Green) 
Bamboo or Lollipop Sticks 
Chocolate (I used Galaxy) 
100’s & 1000’s 
Toffee 
A Knife 
A Spoon 
2 x Glass Bowls (One bigger than the other) 
Kettle For Boiling Water 
Baking Paper 
Cellophane Bags
Ribbon
First take your apples and make sure they’re washed, de-stemmed and de-stickered. If you are doing more than one type of candy apple, decide which one you will do first and put the other apples to the side. I decided to do chocolate covered ones first and use green apples for this. I would suggest starting with chocolate first as it would be easier to wash the bowl to reuse when melting the toffee.
I then took a knife and put a slit into the top of each apple, being careful not to go too deep or too wide. I then took the stick and wedged it into the apples. If you do find the lollipop stick won’t stay or you are scared of it wriggling out you can always melt down the covering and use a little of that as a glue.

Fill the kettle and boil some water, pour some into a large glass bowl but don’t fill it. Then take the chocolate, cut or snap it into smaller pieces and place into the smaller bowl. Now take the smaller bowl and place that into the larger bowl. Obviously be very careful doing this as it is boiling hot water and make sure the water in the larger bowl doesn’t rise and spill over or spill into the chocolate.

Keep stirring until the chocolate is at your desired consistency. This method should melt the chocolate without the need of a hob or a microwave. If you do prefer either of those methods go ahead, I just prefer this way as it means less to clean up and if you do this as an activity with kids you can place the bowl away from small hands.

Lay out some baking paper ready and taking one apple at a time dip them into the chocolate until they are evenly covered. Before placing them onto the baking paper I sprinkled some 100’s and 1000’s onto the underneath.

When they are dry I placed them into these fantastic Halloween Cellophane bags I found on Amazon and tied some ribbon around the top on the apple.

I then cleaned up, laid out some more baking paper and did the same method with the Red Apples and Toffee. The toffee was not how I imagined it to be. I knew beforehand that toffee would be harder to melt so I did end up putting it in the microwave and I knew I didn't have a lot of time to work with it. As I dipped the apple around the toffee it was going on very thick and when it dried it was actually too difficult to eat. I'd recommend making your own toffee or even caramel.

I decided to just stick to the chocolate ones for now as they were easier to make and let's be honest; chocolate is better than toffee anyways. This is how they ended up looking;
I am really happy with how the chocolate ones turned out and it’s safe to say they went down a treat!

Do you have any candy apple recipes you'd like to share? comment below! As always I'd love to see if you recreate this, use the hashtag #HalloweenWithHannah on Twitter & Instagram or feel free to comment below ^.^


Thanks for reading!


Hannah Marie x


You may also like

2 comments:

  1. Ah this is amazing! I'm so excited for Halloween but I'm terrible at baking, but this looks so cool!

    Lizzie Bee // mysticthorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You ^.^ The chocolate ones were so easy to do x

      Delete